The Santander Innoventures Fund (formerly the Fintech Fund) was launched in July 2014.
Based in London, but with a global remit, the Fund builds on the bank’s philosophy of collaboration and partnership with small and start-up companies. The Fund provides Fin-Tech companies with much needed finance, as well as supporting the digital revolution to ensure Santander’s customers world-wide benefit from the latest know-how and innovations across the Banking Group’s Geographies.
Victor Matarranz, Executive Vice President of Santander Group, said: "In just a few months we have established a pipeline of exciting and entrepreneurial ideas, which we are assessing with a view to a first round of investments.
The Fund's Managing Director is Mariano Belinky, who joined from McKinsey & Co., where he was an Associate Principal in the Corporate and Investment Banking and Global Risk Management practice, based in New York. Here, he spent six years advising global banks, asset managers and private equity firms across North America, Europe and Latin America on multiple strategic topics.
The Fund is 100 per cent owned by Santander UK, but is a self-standing, specialised, organisation, fully dedicated to the remit of supporting Fin-Tech companies worldwide. The primary focus is on:
- Digital Delivery of Financial Services – aimed at reinforcing distribution and the overall customer experience in the new digital environment’
- E-commerce and Payments ventures
- Online lending – Ventures using new data sources to provide better access to credit, including crowd and social funding;
- E-Financial investments – online systems to distribute financial investment products with self-service and planning capabilities organised around the lifecycle; and,
- Big Data Analytics – platforms to leverage financial and not financial information to provide better services to our customers